Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Potential Coffee Shop Lighting Effect #1: Task Lighting

My lighting professor recently gave us an assignment that overlaps and complements a project we're working on for another class. We have been designing "coffee shops" (and I use that term very loosely as these "shops" are behemoth 3-story structures that include ping pong and pool tables, napping quarters, and roof-top decks), and were instructed to look for interior lighting effects that could be incorporated into our design.

The photograph below comes from an interior design blog a peruse occasionally, www.cococozy.com, and while I am not in love with the red coral chandelier above the breakfast nook table, I do like the effect produced by the various lights in this space.

(image above from http://www.cococozy.com/)

The recessed cans in the ceiling provide a good amount of ambient light, while the different pendants (chrome versus coral) break up the room into its different functions (food preparation versus dining) while still maintaining a sense of cohesion. I could see this scheme working well in my coffee shop - specifically in the coffee bar and dining areas. The light from the pendants is directional and could guide coffee shop patrons from space to space. They also add pops of sparkle to the space. The recessed cans are unobtrusive and practical.

I love the light and airy feel of the kitchen in the picture and would like to achieve that same lightness in my coffee shop. I think this could keep patrons alert while still maintaining a comfy and quiet atmosphere. If I can architecturally break up the spaces in my coffee shop successfully, I believe I can incorporate pockets of calm airiness like what is pictured above in the quiet dining spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment