Thursday, October 14, 2010

Potential Coffee Shop Lighting Effect #5: Nap/Relaxation Area

The program for our "coffee shop" includes a required nap/relaxation area. Originally I was somewhat put off by this requirement (I mean who orders an espresso and then decides to go take a nap?... actually I probably could thanks how sleep deprived school leaves me), but after seeing the lighting scheme in this Brazilian lounge, I am understanding just how significantly light can affect, alter, and improve a space.

The images are of Club Nox in Recife, Brazil, described on http://architecture.gapuak.net/2009/05/08/ as:
"A box of 'corten' steel wraps a prism of glass that lights itself at night in different colors, almost as if it was letting escape some of the light that glows inside. . . In the glass prism, edges, plain, smooth and transperent surfaces that changes [sic] by the color of the light."

And of the lounge, specifically, which is pictured below: 
"Going upstairs you will abandon this almost virtual universe and return to reality, but in a softer way, almost Zen. The lounge terrace is a white, clean space with sofas, 'tamates," wood and a lot of greenery. Embraced by the glass prism that also illuminates with its color to light inside, the lounge is a resting area, a lace to chat and eat, with softer music that slowly brings people to the real world."


I love the soft lighting in this space. Despite using colors like purple and orange, the lighting is still subtle and soothing. The juxtaposition of the gauzy curtains to the left and slick glass wall on the right is emphasized by the light as it is absorbed on one side and reflected off the other. The track lighting above the glass wall is recessed and unobtrusive. Light spilling out from beneath the sofas helps keep the space balanced as its glow mimics the brighter, glossy side of the room.


Originally I envisioned my coffee shop's napping room to be completely dark. But after seeing these images, I want to light the space in a tranquil and soothing way. I think including lights in the space is essential, as this is a public place for short naps and relaxation - I do not want patrons saddling up for an 8-hour snooze at my coffee shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment