Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Potential Coffee Shop Lighting Effect #3: Mix & Match, Get Sparkle

While the photograph below depicts lighting in a residential setting, I think I could take a few hints from it when making design decisions for my coffee shop. I like the combination of natural and electric lighting. The skylight creates a pop of visual interest on the ceiling and provides a significant amount of crisp, clean daylight. I like the combination of different lighting fixtures throughout the space. While they vary in height, size, and location, they're comparable in color and intensity. 

(image from www.cococozy.com)

I think these different fixtures are still cohesive and all work together. They add pops of sparkle throughout the space without being overwhelming. The all-white room could have been boring and bland, but the added light really adds appealing texture. The fixtures above the built-ins highlight things displayed on the shelves in a relatively casual and relaxed way while other objects are more shaded, yet still easily seen thanks to the space's ambient lighting. Nothing seems forced - I like the sense of effortlessness. 

I am especially attracted to the differing sizes and shapes and plan on selecting varying fixtures for my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment