Monday, September 13, 2010

Sprout Market & Cafe

Last Thursday after class, two of my classmates/favorite people ever, Emily Shea and Sarah Beth (yes, they both have double names) and I grabbed lunch at Sprout Market & Cafe near campus.

From their website:

Sprout is one of the newest members of the localvore movement in Richmond Va, serving lunch and dinner six days a week and offering to-go options, beer, wine and quick-eats from our market. Localvore is the diet of eating locally, and Sprout is committed to dealing direct, whenever possible, with the farmers, growers, tofu makers, artisans, etc. that provide the food we serve.


Discussing/critiquing food is not the purpose of this blog, however, I feel obligated to share how absolutely delicious my honey roasted eggplant sandwich was (yum!).

We walked into Sprout around 11:45 in the morning. I poked my head into the various rooms to assess the lighting situated and snapped a few pictures to post here. It was a gorgeous morning - completely sunny without a cloud in the sky - and daylight POURED into the space. I don't think a single electric light was on in the restaurant, which was great, as they simply weren't needed.

Light pouring in through the windows created great spots of brilliant highlight and deep shadows. Look at the incredible shadows on the booth back and table from the bars across this window.


This enormous skylight allowed tons of light to flood the restaurant's dining room. In the background, you can see the front market area, where the cash register is located. It, too, had a crisp, clear, and airy feel due to all of the windows located around the space.


In addition to the beautiful shadows, the sunlight also articulated the great grain on the reclaimed wood booths and tables. Gorgeous!

I noticed these glass sconces throughout the space while we were there, but never thought to examine them as light fixtures, since they weren't turned on. I'd love to go back to Sprout (for dinner. or desert. or both!) at night to see how they illuminate the incredible wood around the dining room. I would hope they cast a warm glow to match the comfy ambiance of the restaurant rather than something too bright and harsh. I'm also curious as to whether these lights and any additional lighting (overhead, recessed cans, etc.) provide ample light for dining at night.



I just loved how the light brought out various tones in these three, wood chairs. The deep shadows behind them plays up their unique shapes as well.


And this is my measly attempt at a watercolor. I don't use them enough and am trying to pepper my sketchbooks with them. They say practice makes perfect, but I'm just hoping that practice will make... less bad.


Stay tuned for Sprout post Part Deux - nighttime dining!

Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment